In general, Dynamic Yield does not store personally identifiable information (PII) about your users. If users are identified with an email address, we hash the address before storing it so the email cannot be used.
In order to deliver experiences that depend on personally identifiable information (PII) such as triggered emails or audience export, you need to upload a User Email Feed containing the information.
A User Email feed is a one-column feed containing user emails. Dynamic Yield takes the feed, hashes the emails, and compares them to the hashed emails of already identified users. If a match is found, the original (non-hashed) email is stored in a separate and more secure location and the user is said to be matched. We now have the email address of the hashed user and can send them triggered emails and can include their data when exporting audiences.
Creating User Email Feeds
Each Dynamic Yield site can support one user email feed.
- To enable this feature, you must sign a legal document about data privacy In coordination with your Customer Success Manager.
- Go to Assets > Data Feeds and click New.
- Select User Email Feed.
- Click Get Credentials and write down the S3 bucket details and the credentials. You can only generate new credentials twice. If you need to generate additional credentials, please open a support ticket.
- Prepare your CSV file according to the following format:
- File type: CSV
- Encoding: UTF8 encoding
- Filename: data.csv.
- First row: "email"
- Rest of the rows: plain text emails, one per row (up to 10 million rows).
firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
You can also download an example file below.
- Upload the CSV to the following folder in the S3 bucket depending on the date:
For example: upload_2020-03-19_14-00
- Whenever a new file is uploaded, a synchronization is initiated to Dynamic Yield within a few minutes.
Managing User Email Feeds
After creating the feed, you will see it in the Data Feeds list (Assets › Data Feeds). You can view the sync status including any errors, and view details about the S3 storage and credentials by clicking Feed Source Details. Each user can only generate the credentials two times for security reasons (imposed by AWS) so write them down in a secure location. If you already generated credentials twice, and need to generate them again, please contact Support.
Only valid email addresses are ingested (strings with "@" in the middle). Due to privacy restrictions, Dynamic Yield cannot display the contents of the file, nor which emails were not ingested.
- The number of emails per file is limited to 10 million.
- User email feed only supports user identification by emails. Identification by external ID isnt supported by the feed - only by the msg_optin event.