Messages are overlays that sit “on top of” your existing content. You can configure the conditions that triggered a message, the conditions to close a message, as well as a number of other settings.
They can be triggered by a particular page loading, after a specific length of time on a page, an event, or some combination of those conditions. Here are some use cases we found that might be helpful:
- Open a questionnaire to get feedback after a video watch or purchase
- Display a thank you message after a donation (purchase event)
- Promote a sale when a user reaches a particular page
Creating a Message Campaign
Mobile campaigns require configuration in the Dynamic Yield admin and in your mobile application.
In Dynamic Yield Admin
- Go to App Personalization › Messaging and click Add New.
- Specify the trigger, frequency, position on screen, and other settings. For details about each settings, see below.
- Configure the targeting settings to determine when, where, and for whom the experience is displayed. When defining the target locations, specify the name of the screens as you define them in the page context.
- Save the experience and click Save and Publish.
- Add additional experiences to your campaign as desired.
In Your Mobile Application
Every time a pageview occurs, Dynamic Yield checks to see if the targeting conditions have been met. Dynamic Yield determines when and where to show the messages based on the targeting settings and no configuration on the application side is needed.
When you begin creating a message campaign, you complete the following settings that apply to all experiences in the campaign:
- Page Load – display immediately upon pageload of the relevant pages (the pages defined in the Targeting step when you add variations).
- Time on Page – display only after a certain amount of time has passed since pageload.
- Event – display when a specific Event has been fired on the page.
- Advanced – allows you to specify a combination of triggers using and/or logical modifiers.
The frequency determines when to show the message a second time, assuming a visitor meets the targeting conditions and the message has been triggered. The settings are applied on the campaign level, so if you select ‘Once per user’ for an Overlay that has two targeted Experiences – one targeted at new visitors and the other at returning visitors – the user will receive the corresponding message once as a new user, and then upon returning to the site and meeting the ‘returning visitor’ conditions, the user will receive the returning-visitor corresponding message.
- Once per pageview – visitors can be shown the message again when they view another page.
- Once per session – visitors can be shown the message again when a new browsing session is started.
- Once per day/ week month – visitors will be shown the message again after a specified period of time.
- Once per user – visitors will only be shown the message once.
Position on Screen
Specify the position and size of the message by screen percentage.
- Backdrop color: The content behind the overlay is shaded using the color and percentage you specify here.
- Closing Options: A number of options that define how and when the message closes.
- Priority: Because only one overlay is displayed per pageview, this settings determines which overlay takes priority if more than one overlay meet the same targeting conditions. If two overlays have the same priority, the one that was created first takes precedence. If undefined, the default value is 4.
Messaging List Page
You can view and manage all of your mobile message campaigns by going to App Personalization ›Messaging. The List Page includes high-level metrics (Impressions and Clicks) for each campaign, providing immediate insight into the level of exposure and engagement.
The two tabs above the list allow you to choose between your active and archived campaigns, while the options to the right of each object enable you to edit, view the report, preview the Message onsite, as well as Duplicate, Export to CSV, Archive and Delete any one of the objects by clicking on the three-dotted menu on the right, which reveals additional options.
Messages can also be exported (to CSV), archived and deleted in bulk when you select more than one using the checkboxes next to each message.