You can use Dynamic Yield to serve different images to different users in your email campaigns, and run A/B test between different variations. Dynamic Content for Email generates a piece of code that you copy into your email template.
When the email is opened, Dynamic Yield identifies the user by their email address. Based on their identify, Dynamic Yield determines which experience to serve. If the user cannot be identified, the default experience is used.
Dynamic Content campaigns always use the A/B test allocation method and do not support using a control group.
- If you are targeting by audiences: configure the following Omnichannel Events: Signup, Newsletter Subscription, Login, and the Identify API.
- Recommended: In the Integrations page, enable your email service provider (ESP). If your ESP is not integrated with Dynamic Yield, you can still use this feature.
Creating Dynamic Content For Email
- Go to Email › Dynamic Content and click Add New.
- Enter a name, and add notes and labels (optional).
- Specify the ALT text which will be displayed if images are blocked and click Next.
- Create variations using templates, or based on other experiences. When you are done with each variation, click Save Variation.
- Set the primary metric and advanced experience settings.
- Click Save Experience.
- You can create additional experiences in this campaign by clicking the plus icon. The first experience is the default experience, additional experiences must be targeted to a specific audience. If a user does not match the targeting conditions of the additional experiences, they will be served with the default experience.
- Click Publish when you are ready to go live.
- Select the ESP of your choice and copy the code to your email campaigns. You will only see ESPs that have been enabled from the Integrations page. For a full list of supported ESPs, see Integrations. To use any other ESP, select the ‘Other’ tab and replace the following sections of the code: REPLACE_WITH_EMAIL – Email merge field that presents the email address. If you do not want to enter visitor emails, see the FAQs below.
REPLACE_WITH_CAMPAIGN_VERSION – Email merge field that presents the unique Id of the email campaign.
- To preview and QA the email, we recommend sending yourself a sample email using your ESP before creating a wider email campaign.
Is Dynamic Content for Email supported by all ESP’s?
We provide out-of-the-box snippets for a number of ESPs. For details, see Integrations. However, the code is easily customizable for all other ESPs.
Can I embed a GIF instead of an image in a Dynamic Content for Email?
When should Email Recommendations be used vs Dynamic Content for Email?
Email Recommendations is designed for product recommendations (promoting the most relevant products from your product catalog) based on a selected algorithm, whereas Dynamic Content for Email is suitable for banners and promotions.
Are there any limitations to be aware of when setting up Dynamic Content for Email Experiences?
Although the flow is designed to be flexible and customizable, there are a few guidelines to abide by:
- Audience Conditions are the only conditions that apply to Dynamic Content Experiences
- Item List is not supported.
- Unit CTR as a primary metric is not supported.
- Variation size must be equal for all variations.
- Since variation code is flattened to an image, custom fonts need to be embedded directly in the custom template.
- The click-through link is applied to the entire image; therefore, only one click-through-link is assigned for the entire variation area.
- GIFs are not supported.
What happens when targeting an Audience group but a recipient does not belong to the Audience group?
The default experiences will be served.
What will be displayed when a recipient returns to the email for the second time?
The same variation will be served, unless:
- The user opened the email, clicked the dynamic content before his first visit to the site, and opened the same email again
- The user opened the email, logged in to the site for the first time, and opened the same email again
What should I do if I do not want to enter visitor emails directly in the embed code?
If your data is coming from a CRM data feed, you can use the unique ID from your feed instead. If your data is not coming from a CRM and you are interested in this option, speak to your Client Success Manager.
- Enter the custom unique ID for the user as it appears in your CRM data feed where it says REPLACE_WITH_EMAIL.
- Add the following parameter to the embed code that includes the Unique Identifier Type.