Display Ads enable you to replace your static Display Ads with dynamic content driven by machine learning algorithms that choose the best variation in real time and leverage Dynamic Yield’s personalization capabilities beyond your website.
Since Display Ads reside outside your website, they consist of an iframe that needs to be to your ad network or directly to the publisher. Even after they have been served by the 3rd party, you still have full control over what they display and to whom, and you can rest assured as Dynamic Yield automatically optimizes and personalizes the campaign to yield optimal results, based on your primary objective.
Creating Display Ads
- Go to Acquisition › Display Ads and click Add New.
- Enter a name, and add notes and labels (optional).
- Select your ad size and click Next.
- Define Experiences and Variations and configure their traffic allocations settings.
- Serve your Display Ads using one of the procedures below
Serving Display Ads – Generic and AppNexus
Once the Display Ad is saved and published, you will be redirected to the Display Ads main List Page where the ‘get code’ button will be visible to the right of every Display Ad in your account:
Clicking on the ‘get-code’ of each Display Ad will display the unique iframe code snippets for the chosen Display Ad. From the ‘Get Code’ dialogue box, you can choose to copy the code to your clipboard or have it emailed to your inbox:
As depicted in the screenshot above, Dynamic Yield offers some ready-made tailored snippets for Google and Appnexus’s ad-networks. The Generic iframe snippet can be used for all other ad-networks that support embedding 3rd party iframes (Facebook does not currently support this option). If any adjustment is required to the snippet to support your current ad-network, please contact your CSM.
Serving Display Ads – Google Adwords
All 3rd party ad serving requests must be validated and verified by the Google 3rd Party Ad Serving Team (3PAS) Certification QA Team. In order to set up your AdWords campaigns using Dynamic Yield’s enhanced optimization and personalization capabilities, please follow the steps below:
- Generate Dynamic Yield Display Ads: Create all of the required Display Ads with desired variations for your upcoming AdWords campaigns through your Dynamic Yield account. Once each Display Ad is saved, generate its tag by clicking on the ad’s Get-Code and choosing the Google tab.
- Structure Your Upcoming AdWords Campaign: In AdWords, create the AdWords campaigns and AdGroups that are necessary for serving the Display Ads created in the previous step. Keep these new AdWords campaigns paused for the time being.
- Create a Data File Spreadsheet: Please create a spreadsheet data file, preferably in MS Excel or as a CSV, containing the following columns: Campaign Name, Ad Group Name, Ad Size, Ad Tag. Please paste the Get-Codes that were generated in step 1 in the ‘Ad Tag’ column. A sample CSV can be downloaded here.
- Submit a Request for 3PAS implementation for AdWords campaigns: Please contact your dedicated AdWords account manager and send him/her the spreadsheet data file. If you do not have an AdWords account manager, please submit your request and include the spreadsheet data file at this link or email the Google AdWords Support Team at adwords-support@google.
- The 3PAS Certification QA team will verify that the tags are certified and that the format is correct. Once validated, the tags will be implemented in the campaigns by the 3PAS team.
- All tags must include the Google Cachebuster (by implementing the following parameter ord=%%CACHEBUSTER%%) – this is included by default when generating the get-code and choosing the Google tab
- If you are creating custom-code variations for the Display Ad, please make sure the Google’s tracking micro is included in the HTML by adding rdclick=%%CLICK_URL_ESC%% – this is already included in all predefined Dynamic Yield Display Ad templates.
Once all of the above is complete, your Dynamic Yield Display Ads will be live in your AdWords campaigns. You may edit the content of these units at any time via the Display Ads module in your Dynamic Yield account.
Adding Recommendations to a Display Ad
To learn about how to add a recommendation widget in a display add, see Adding Recommendations to Landing Pages, Display Ads, Overlays, and Notifications.