Our email recommendation offering is being replaced with our new Experience Email capability, and as of November 1st, 2021, you will no longer be able to create new email recommendation campaigns the "old" way (existing campaign data will still be accessible until February 1, 2022).
This article provides an overview of what we've improved for email campaigns, and includes a Step by Step Guide to help you recreate one of your existing email recommendations campaigns in Experience Email.
What's New in Experience Email?
Experience Email is a new campaign type with which you can create recommendations widgets within a full email. It includes many improvements to make your recommendation stronger and your workflow easier. To name a few:
- Designing the widget does not require coding, and it is done in a drag-and-drop visual editor.
- You no longer need to create a widget template. You can just use the item template, and in the visual editor determine the items' layout (for example, a single row or a 2x2 grid).
- You can create multiple widgets within the same email – and they will not repeat products.
- You can now easily adapt the code to your ESP, regardless of which ESP you use, with a one-time setup. If you have multiple ESPs, one for newsletters and one for transactional emails – it supports multiple integrations as well.
Step by Step Guide
See the Experience Email documentation for the details of all the things you can do, but to recreate an old recommendation campaign, follow these steps:
- Go to Email in the top navigation.
- Go to Experience Email, click Create New, and select to create an Experience Block.
- In the editor, drag a recommendation block into the work area.
- The widget immediately appears. Click it to edit the logic and design.
- Set the algorithm and merchandizing rules. This is exactly the same as what you are already familiar with.
- Choose the item template. Note that in the old email recommendations, you chose a widget template, which was a parent template for the item template. In Experience Email, you directly choose the item template.
Tip: Know the name of the widget template, but not sure what's the name of the item template?
Go to assets › templates. Click the template to open it, and then click the edit icon next to the template name.
The item template is listed as shown here:
- Define the same layout as the email widget template. You can control the number of items per row, the number of rows, and the distance between items.
- If you want to add a title above the products - simply drag a text block.
- Click Save.
- Generate the email code snippet and use it to replace the email recommendations template in your ESP. If you don't have an integration set up already, an integration setup screen appears. This injects your ESP parameters into the embed code for all future emails, so that after the first time, all you need to do is paste this code into your ESP editor.