The frequency setting enables you to control the exposure of the campaign. This is relevant for Overlay, Notification, and Custom Code campaigns.
Frequency setting options
- Once per pageview: Targeted users see the campaign upon every pageview.
- Once per session: Targeted users see the campaign only once within a visit.
- Once per day/week: Targeted users see the campaign only once within the span of a day/week.
- Once per user: Targeted users see the campaign only once.
Note that while the frequency configuration is set in the campaign settings, the frequency capping behavior affects each experience, individually. This means that, for example, if a user is eligible for a specific experience, and then later becomes eligible for a different experience, they will get the second experience even if the frequency capping is once per user.
How does it work?
Frequency relies on a browser cookie, and on the localStorage as a fallback. Meaning that even if cookies are deleted, the frequency works as expected. If both cookie and localStorage are deleted, the frequency resets.
- If you enabled Active Cookie Consent mode, frequency is not enforced at all for users who haven't opted in. This is because we do not store any cookies or localStorage data for these users.
- Frequency is limited to 7 days in Safari and Internet Explorer. These browsers do not support third-party cookies, and localStorage is limited to 7 days.
- Because frequency is based on browser cookies and localStorage, it is managed per user and device. Meaning that if the frequency is set to "once per user", and the user visits the website with 2 devices, they see the campaign twice.