You can preview campaigns and variations of your personalization experiences as if they were published on your website. There are two ways of previewing that help you test and view all aspects of your campaigns:
- Previewing a variation: View a variation, regardless of whether you meet its targeting conditions. In this mode, variation code is simply injected into the page. This is useful to QA the variation code, look, and feel.
- Previewing a campaign: View it exactly as a visitor would experience it on your site. At the campaign level, you'll see the campaign only if you meet the targeting conditions and frequency settings. You'll see the experience with the highest priority (that you are targeted for), and will be served variations according to the allocation. Because this capability includes draft experiences, you can QA experiences and campaigns before serving them to your visitors.
You can preview variations even if they haven't been saved.
- While editing or creating a variation, click Preview On Site.
- Enter the URL of the site on which you want to preview the variation.
A new tab opens, displaying the preview.
Note that the variation is displayed whether or not you match the targeting conditions of the experience. However, the campaign's trigger conditions must be met (for example, an overlay that's triggered after 30 seconds). If the trigger condition isn't met, a message appears, explaining why the variation wasn't served.
- In Web Personalization, hover over any campaign and click the Preview icon.
The preview dialog appears.
- Enter the preview URL, and click Preview. The page opens in preview mode.
Preview mode remains active until you click Exit Preview Mode or close the tab.
- Email the preview URL to your colleagues, so they can preview the campaign without entering the Dynamic Yield console.
- If you want to view a specific variation regardless of the campaign's conditions (like in variation preview mode), click the dropdown next to the Variation specified in the preview mode box and select any available variation. Note that switching between experiences and variations is only possible when you are logged in to the Experience OS console.
- The variation preview represents a snapshot of the variation code at the moment of generating the preview links. Links will remain active for 45 days.
- When previewing a campaign, all targeting, trigger, and frequency settings are considered before it's served. If you aren't eligible to receive the campaign (say, the campaign is targeted to mobile users and you're using a desktop device) you'll get a message indicating why.