Email marketing is long past being just a method of spamming inboxes. Email is one of the most powerful tools a marketer has nowadays if done correctly. It's all about engaging, notifying and retaining customers and has one of the highest ROI's of all marketing methods.
The use case today displays a great way to engage users and retain them -- improving your bottom line.
A rapidly growing retail company based in Europe wanted to leverage the product groupings they promote and drive users back to their site using the strong ties to the groups that they created. The team was looking for ideas for sending cart abandonment triggered emails that would not overwhelm the user. They decided on emails based on a strong interest in a single product line.
Overview of a Triggered Email Campaign
Triggered emails allow you to automatically target users who have left your site (or app) without completing the funnel. The email can be sent after any step in the funnel (category page view, product page view, cart abandonment, etc...) and will include content relevant to the abandoned browsing session. Any event a user generates on the site can be used to trigger a campaign.
Process & Pre-requisites
- The user is identified using his or her email address > omnichannel events need to be implemented
- A trigger event is executed based on the type of campaign is being used (product view will trigger a product abandonment campaign)
- The email send time is calculated using the defined delay in the campaign settings. This can be any time from a few minutes, to a couple of weeks
- Cancel events are monitored while the email is pending (these events cancel the email being sent. For example, a purchase is made, a new session starts, a new product is viewed, etc...)
- The email message is sent to the user
Hypothesis for the Use Case
By sending a triggered email after a user showed interest in a specific product group, the chance of the user converting increases as he is being reminded of a product he was initially interested in.
Campaign Set Up
In this campaign, we will be targeting users based on specific product groups. An audience needs to be created for each group in order to target accordingly. The groups can be defined based on brand, groupID, type of product, etc... this is up to you!
Users who have visited a PDP of a particular brand at least twice
- Define the criteria of the audience
- Create audiences
Trigger campaign settings
- Product viewed: all products
- Delay send: one day
- Cancel send: products added to cart, product/s purchased, new session started, etc...
- Frequency cap: one email/ three days
- Choose the relevant audience for this campaign
- Select one of the Trigger email templates available (or a template that you have created)
- Customize template fields using the variables
Please sign in to leave a comment.