Date Sent: September 3rd, 2020
Though it's no secret that Recommendation campaigns are the most effective approach to automatically displaying relevant products to users, there are many ways to creatively use Recommendations to personalize the shopping experience. One unique method is to create a "For You" page that is dedicated to giving users a personalized page-full of curated products. This page will enable users to conveniently browse relevant items by serving multiple Recommendation widgets to them within a single location on your site. Implement a "For You" Recommendations page to generate uplift, Direct, and Assisted Revenue, all while providing users with their own personalized hubs of curated products just for them.
One option for setting up a "For You" page is to use Multi-Touch campaigns and target users based on their intent to buy, or in other words, based on the number of pages they've viewed. Create Multi-Touch campaigns with 3-4 Recommendation touchpoints that have distinct strategies to show users unique products from widget to widget, and to also measure the collective impact of the widgets on the page.
Campaign Setup Overview
Start by creating 3 Audiences for Low, Medium, and High intent to purchase. This will allow you to select strategies for each of the touchpoints that best correspond with the history and browsing behaviors of each audience. For example:
- Low intent Audience (users who have viewed less than 15 pages): the Multi-Touch campaign could include Recommendation touchpoints that leverage strategies that don't require the user to have much of a browsing or purchasing history (if any at all)
- High intent Audience (users who have viewed more than 30 pages, or have purchased from your site in the past): the Multi-Touch campaign could effectively use strategies for the Recommendation touchpoints like User Affinity or Purchased with Recently Purchased
Here is an example of what a “For You” page could look like with a Multi-Touch campaign that's targeted to a High Intent audience on your site:
Next, create 3 Multi-Touch campaigns targeted to the specific URL of the "For You" page on your site, and target each campaign to one of the intent-based audiences that you created. Include as many Recommendation touchpoints as you see fit within the individual campaigns. We suggest that you use the same number of touchpoints for each campaign, and define a different strategy for each Recommendation touchpoint/widget. For example, your campaign targeting the High intent audience could use the following strategies for the Recommendation touchpoints:
- 1st Touchpoint: a "Recommended Just for You" widget that leverages a strategy/algorithm geared towards the user's preferences, like User Affinity
- 2nd Touchpoint: a widget that uses the Viewed with Recently Viewed strategy
- 3rd Touchpoint: a widget that uses an algorithm like Popularity to show the user products that are frequently purchased by others and may be of interest to the user
This is just one approach to serving multiple Recommendation widgets on a "For You" page. Leveraging Multi-Touch campaigns will allow you to see the collective impact of the Recommendation touchpoints in terms of reporting.
An alternative approach would be to create individual Recommendation campaigns and target each of those widgets to the URL of your site's "For You" page, however you will not be able to see the collective impact of these individual campaigns:
Until next time,
Customer Success Training Manager
Please sign in to leave a comment.