Tips & Tricks: Spread the (Brand) Love & Capture Loyalty Members
Date Sent: January 28th, 2022
In terms of brand loyalty, the love of your customers might be a "many-splendored thing." Customers' motives to shop exclusively with a given brand vs. a competitor are often multi-faceted. While those motivations can be subjective, the ROI of capturing loyal customers and retaining them is less nuanced: increasing customer retention by 5% can lead to profit increases of more than 25%1. Brand loyalty is also meaningful for customers, themselves, as 81% of consumers want to form a relationship with a brand2.
Increase your brand's loyalty members by serving users that visit your loyalty program details page with an Overlay that takes them to the registration form. Trigger the Overlay with a Scroll Event to ensure it's served to users that have actually shown interest in the program's info and perks. No loyalty program? No problem: read on for other ways to apply this use case if your site doesn't currently have a loyalty initiative in place or a dedicated page with details on the program.
Use Case: Membership Details Page Overlay Triggered by Scroll Event
Serve users that are interested in the details about your site's loyalty or membership program with an Overlay on the page triggered by a Scroll Event. This will ensure that the Overlay is only served to users interested enough in the program to read up on the benefits.
Use Case Requirements
The following components are required to implement this use case:
- A custom Scroll Event that fires when users scroll about 50% down the program details page.
- An Evaluator for "Logged In" users must be created so that the Experience(s) for the Overlay can be targeted to users that are not already loyalty members.
Use Case Setup Overview Part I - Scroll Event Custom Code Campaign
Start by creating a new Custom Code campaign to implement the Scroll Event using the following settings and inputs:
- Select Page Load for the Trigger setting and Once per pageview for the Frequency
- Create an Experience that is targeted to the URL of your site's loyalty program or membership details page:
- Add a Variation to the Experience and select the OOTB template for Fire Event on Page Scroll:
- On the Design tab of the Variation window, define the variable for Event Name as Scroll Loyalty Details or something similar. Then, define the Scroll Percentage variable as 50%:
- Save the Variation and set the Status of the Experience to Active. Save the Experience and then publish the Custom Code campaign.
Use Case Setup Overview Part II - Loyalty Page Overlay Campaign
After the Scroll Event has been implemented, you will build the Overlay campaign to serve users who scroll down 50% of the loyalty program details page with a pop-up that will redirect them to the program sign-up page. Create a new Overlay campaign and use the following settings:
- For the Trigger setting, select Event and choose the Scroll Event that you created for Part I. Select either Once per pageview or Once per session for the Frequency setting.
- Create an Experience that is targeted to users that are not currently logged in:
- Add a Variation to the Experience and choose a template. The OOTB template options like the Basic Popup, Glow Message, or Double Creative could be particularly handy to leverage with this use case. For an added incentive, mention a discount code or sign-up perk that is only valid to new loyalty members in the messaging of the Overlay:
- Save the Variation. If you'd like to configure and run an A/B test for the Experience, specify the relevant A/B test settings and create an additional Variation(s) to allocate to users that are exposed to the Experience.
- Set the Experience Status to Active, save the Experience, and publish the Overlay.
Practical Application: Other Ways to Leverage the Use Case
Though more than 90% of companies have some sort of customer loyalty initiative3, not every site has a perks program. If you're loving the idea of this case but your brand doesn't currently offer a loyalty program for customers, consider repurposing the use case and leverage these ideas for different initiatives on your site. For instance, this use case could be leveraged to capture email subscriptions on relevant site pages, such as the blog, inspiration board, or the "About Us" page. With a few targeting tweaks, you could implement a version of this use case that, when users have scrolled through multiple category pages or viewed a certain number of product pages, serves an Overlay that encourages users to create a wishlist or a customer profile to save their favorite finds for later.
1"Customer Retention Should Outweigh Customer Acquisition," ReSci, March 2021
2"2021 Loyalty Barometer Report," Merkle, 2021
3"70 Compelling Customer Loyalty Statistics: 2022 Vital Facts & Data Analysis," FinancesOnline, 2021
Until next time,
Sr. Customer Education Manager
Please sign in to leave a comment.